Shanghai Duathlon 2009: Dishui Lake

[复制链接]

主题

帖子

积分

Lv1 学前班

积分
发表于 2009-11-5 12:30:15 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
Last Sunday, Drew, SueSu, and me (Alex) met at Zhang Jiang High Technology Park just before 7am to take part in the Shanghai Duathlon 2009 organised by the Shanghai Triathlon Club. We were all newbies to the this event of a 12km run, 42km cycle, and 4 km running. We nervously loaded our bicycles into the vans that had been provided and got on to the coach headed to Dishui Lake. The weather looked like it was not going to help us out but the rain never arrived luckily. However an hour later when we arrived it was cold and windy.

We had about an hour to prepare for the race; to set up the bicycles on the rack, prepare the changeover shoes, helmet, find the bathroom, and warm up. There were about 120 people that took part, but some people were doing the smaller race of 4km run, 17km cycle, and 4km run. Everyone was in good spirits and the race started promptly at 9am.

We set off and Drew sped off in front of me. I tried hard to keep him in sight and pushed fairly hard. I happily realised that I felt good. My body felt ready and my head was prepared for the oncoming slog. I was running next to a Chinese man who I later found out was the only entry in the 60+ category. We kept overtaking each other which was good because I think it pushed us to go faster. I finally gave it a big kick and overtook him for good.

I finished the run in just over 60 mins which I was happy with. Next up the bike, I was quick in the transfer area and started on my first lap out of 5 around the lake. It was so windy!!! For about half the lap when cycling towards the wind it felt like there was glue on the ground. It was very tough, at least there was some respite when cycling away from the wind. To my disappointment my running friend, the 60+ gentleman, quickly overtook me on his bike. There were some amazing racing bikes and a steady stream of cyclists went past me. I persevered as best as I could considering my bicycle only has 1 gear and can not really compete with the proper racing bikes.

As I was finishing the final lap about 1 hour and 30 minutes later I was wondering if I had anything left in my legs! I got off my bike and parked it in the transfer area. I was surprised to find Drew there also getting ready for the last running section. He had cramps in his legs which had hampered his cycling time. We set off together and at best it can only be described as a trot, or a turtle. I have never experienced anything like it, every muscle in my legs was threatening to cramp at any point. The other runners around us was also struggling, many were stopped by the side of the road stretching. As it was just 4 km we pushed on finally completed the whole course in 3 hours 4 mins and 32 seconds!   

After the race most of the competitors went to a nearby hotel for a well deserved lunch! It was a great day and next year hopefully more Yiqi Pao members will take part. There is also a relay team option where one person takes on each section.

主题

帖子

积分

Lv2 小学生

积分
QQ
发表于 2009-11-5 13:25:19 | 显示全部楼层
Congratulation! It took me a long time to read English but it's lucky I have a good dictionary software to translate. Many new words was learned. But as to bicycle it's much easier for just running. Wish I will have a bike one day and take part in such a game. A man who finish the game is the Campion of himself!

主题

帖子

积分

Lv4 高中生

积分

论坛人气奖

发表于 2009-11-5 13:52:05 | 显示全部楼层
本帖最后由 suesu 于 2009-11-5 13:53 编辑

Congratulations to you for the runner-up position in Women's ranking. It's true that was a hard race, but we finished it. Look forward to seeing you on your new bike, the prize.
I run, and therefore I AM.

主题

帖子

积分

Lv4 高中生

积分

论坛人气奖

发表于 2009-11-5 15:44:38 | 显示全部楼层
本帖最后由 suesu 于 2009-11-5 15:46 编辑

Thanks to Fangfang of Free Marathoner, we finally have some photos. There's one more. Please click the link and scroll down. http://www.yiqipao.com/viewthrea ... p;extra=&page=2
044.jpg
210.jpg
251.jpg
I run, and therefore I AM.

主题

帖子

1万

积分

Lv5 大学生

积分

坚持跑记奖勤劳奉献奖论坛人气奖特殊贡献奖

QQ
发表于 2009-11-6 21:16:51 | 显示全部楼层
Well done Alex, and a very detail and vivid report. I am inspired to try it next year.

主题

帖子

积分

Lv1 学前班

积分
 楼主| 发表于 2009-11-6 23:31:44 | 显示全部楼层
Thanks everyone! The photos are really nice SueSu! They have now published the full results...
12km run - 1:07:04
42km cycling - 1:32:13
4km running - 0:25:22
and now onto the next challenge - the Hangzhou half marathon!

主题

帖子

积分

Lv1 学前班

积分
发表于 2009-11-24 11:42:04 | 显示全部楼层
oh my ... sounds like a mission impossible ... But man ! Such an experience, uh? ^^
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册一起跑

本版积分规则

一起跑永远是个开放、免费的平台,因为我们想感恩帮助过我们的跑友,感恩我们拥有的一切。

小黑屋|手机版|一起跑

GMT+8, 2024-5-22 07:06